I’m
not really sure how I feel about this story. When I was reading it, I kept
pushing through because I wanted to know what would happen between the narrator
and the boy. When I got to the end, I was a bit disappointed that nothing
actually happened between them. I felt dissatisfied. But now that I’ve removed
myself from the story and thought about it for a few hours, I realize that it’s
not really about the relationship between the narrator and the boy, but rather
a story about culture – the retention of culture and the loss of culture.
The
big that stuck out to me was obviously the usage of second person. It took me
the first couple pages to get used to it, but once I did, I thought that
Lahiri’s style of narration was extraordinary. Normally, it’s difficult to
write something in second person without running the risk of alienating the
audience or making them uncomfortable. But Lahiri writes in such a way that I
never felt awkward that she kept using “yous.” Instead, I felt like the use of
second person created a more intimate kind of feel – the intimacy of the
writing style helps strengthen the idea that the narrator had a crush on the
boy, and the entire story is the things left unsaid between them.
Though
I liked the use of second person to tell the story, I also felt that it
sometimes detracted from the overall impact of the story. For example, because
the story is addressed to the boy, who obviously knows what he looks like and
what the other people in the story look like, there is no need for a lot of
physical description. Because of this, I really didn’t have a good feel for
what the characters looked like – I was left to envision the stereotypical
Indian-American. The voices of the different characters were strong enough to
help me distinguish them from each other, but at times, I was left wanting more
in the way of description.
You said, "Normally, it’s difficult to write something in second person without running the risk of alienating the audience or making them uncomfortable"
ReplyDeleteWhat did you mean by this? Why would it alienate?