Molly –
I
really liked this story about a nineteen year old girl, named Scarlett, who is
in a mental hospital following the death of her father. As Scarlett herself
says, she “just couldn’t take it anymore.” Her mother put Scarlett in the
psychiatric hospital after she caught Scarlett cutting herself. However,
Scarlett claims that she wasn’t trying to commit suicide, but was merely doing
it to make sure she is still alive.
First
of all, I LOVE the voice in this piece. It’s so unique – sarcastic, realistic,
and relatable all at the same time. I kept reading because I wanted more of
that voice. I also thought your choice of subject was really unique, especially
since the voice doesn’t exactly scream “insane.” I really liked the descriptions
of the mental hospital – I liked that it was colored by the fact that Scarlett
really doesn’t need to be in the mental hospital, but she’s there anyway and
she observes everything around her. You do a great job creating a sense of
place – I feel like I know exactly what the mental hospital looks like and what
the patients are like. I also liked the recurring theme of death and blood
pouring out (even though the scene where her dad died not only made me cringe,
but made me slightly sick) – it tied everything together and made the ending
all that more impactful.
As
for suggestions, I’ll start with some minor, nit-picky things. First of all, I
want to know earlier how old Scarlett is. I got the sense that she was probably
younger based on her interactions with the psychiatrist in the first scene, but
I wasn’t sure. Until Scarlett says she’s nineteen on page 4, I was thinking she
was around sixteen, so I want that introduced a bit earlier. Also, I want to
know earlier why she’s in the mental hospital. All the stuff about her father
doesn’t have to be revealed early – in fact, I think it’s perfect where it is –
but I think I’d like to know that she’s there for cutting herself earlier in
the story.
My
last suggestion has to do with the change in the character. I’m not really sure
there was a change in the character. Sure, she comes to the realization that
her dad will always be with her as long as she lets him stay, I feel like she
had come to that realization before she has this conversation with the
psychiatrist. Because of that, I didn’t feel like there was actually a change;
it was more like the audience came to know more about Scarlett.
No comments:
Post a Comment